Radiology Questions


Radiology School

Do I have a TFCC tear?

End June I fell on an outstretched hand during Sports Day and ever since my wrist has been hurting a lot on the ulnar side. I’ve already done some research but I was wondering if there’s any doctors/nurses who could tell me what I should do.

The pain starts at the top on my pinky side of my arm and gets less as it goes down. In general it’s not as sore as it used to be but it hasn’t got much better even after 2 months. When I move it I hear a clicking/grinding noise and it hurts really badly. My wrist feels a lot weaker too, and I can’t put a lot of pressure on. My mum is the kind of person who says it’ll go away, it isn’t broken etc. but it hasn’t gone away and the pain is just as bad.

I’d appreciate any answers on whether you think it’s a TFCC tear or something else and if I should see a doctor, thanks.

Republished by Blog Post Promoter

Category: MRI
Tag: ,
  • Michelle says:

    Hello, I’m sorry about your wrist.

    I highly recommend you see an orthopedist (aka an orthopedic surgeon) (bone and joint doctor). They specialize in this specific area and will provide the most/best help. Skip the family doc or hospital if you can; they won’t do much except maybe xray your wrist and then send you home when the xray comes back fine. You could have soft tissue damage. Or if they think your wrist needs further evaluation, they’ll refer you to an orthopedist anyway. So, skip that step if you can, and go to an orthopedist.

    Your orthopedist will ask what happened and what symptoms you’re experiecing. He then will examine your wrist by palpating (feeling) and maybe doing some “hands-on” tests. These tests just involve bending your wrist and moving it around in certain ways to check for possible injuries. You can google or youtube “hand exam” and you’ll see the tests they do. You may be sent for an MRI. An MRI will show any damage done to the soft tissues, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons. The orthopedist will have a good idea of what’s causing this and then will send you for the MRI if he thinks it’s necessary. You’ll then meet back with your orthopedist to go over your results and discuss the best treatment for what’s wrong.

    Since it’s been awhile and your wrist isn’t better, see an orthopedist.
    To me, it does sound like it could be a TFCC tear because you fell on an outstretched hand (which is a very common way to tear the TFCC), you have pain on the ulnar side, and you have some clicking and grinding. Those are symptoms of a TFCC tear. I’d get your wrist looked at soon.

    Good luck!

    May 13, 2014 at 3:11 am
  • Shirley says:

    I think you should be x rayed again you may have torn cartilage or tendon damage . You sound young so may be check out those growth plates for damage, best to keep immobilized and rest it with ice or heat which ever helps best . If there is pain there is usually something wrong. Best of luck sweetie.

    May 13, 2014 at 3:52 am

Radiologie-Wörterbuch | Dizionario Di Radiologia | Словарь Радиологии | 방사선학 사전 | Het Woordenboek van de Radiologie
放射学字典| Dictionnaire De Radiologie |Λεξικό ακτινολογίας | 放射線学辞書